The semi-decomposed body of a 30-year-old woman, with her wrist and throat slit, was found at her rented accommodation at Lajpat Nagar Phase-4 in south Delhi on Monday evening.

The body was discovered at around 5 pm by the woman’s sister and brother-in-law, after they came to check on her as she was not responding to their calls.

A case of murder was registered against unknown persons at the Amar Colony police station. Police suspect the involvement of somebody known to the woman behind her murder.

By the time the body was found, it had started putrefying, suggesting she was murdered more than 48 hours ago, police said.
They did not find any sign of sexual assault on her.

Romil Baaniya, deputy commissioner of police (southeast), said that the woman, identified as Pooja Paswan, was staying on rent in a single room on the second floor of the building for the last one-and-a-half-years. She earlier worked at a spa and cosmetic parlour in Lajpat Nagar. Prior to that, she used to sell bed sheets after buying them in bulk. However, she was unemployed for the past few months, said Baaniya.

A native of Patna in Bihar, Pooja was married to Sumit Paswan two years ago but had been working and living in Delhi alone. Her husband works for a mobile company in his home town in Patna. The police have learnt that the couple had been estranged ever since differences arose between them a few months into their wedding.

Pooja’s sister Rekha Paswan lives her husband Gautam Paswan and children in south Delhi’s Chhattarpur area. On Monday afternoon, Rekha said, she got a call from her sister’s friend, who told her that the former was not answering her calls for since Sunday.

“My husband was leaving to Patna to see his father who was not well. When I informed him that Pooja was not responding to calls, he offered to drop me at her place on his way to railway station,” said Rekha.

The couple reached Pooja’s room at around 5 pm, and found it locked. They opened the door with a spare key.

“Immediately as we opened the door, a foul smell came from inside. We entered her room and found her lying on the bed. Her throat and wrist were slit. I raised an alarm and called the police control room. Some neighbours rushed to the room but I did not let them in and waited for the police to arrive,” said Gautam.

A police team reached the building along with the forensic team and sealed the crime scene. The forensic team collected useful evidences and blood samples from the spot. The body was sent to AIIMS mortuary and the autopsy will be conducted on Tuesday, said a police officer.

During the preliminary probe, investigators learnt that Pooja was last seen on Saturday. Investigators have not ruled out the role of Pooja’s husband and were trying to find out if his location was in Delhi between Friday and Monday.

“Some colleagues and friends of Pooja in Delhi are also being questioned. Her brother-in-law’s role is also under scanner,” the officer said.

Leave a Reply